I really believe in the power of fresh and seasonal vegetables and fruits as a foundation for a healthy body and I love to cook with what’s in season.
This month asparagus and broad beans are 2 versatile veggies that I really enjoy eating. It’s also National Egg day today – so what’s stopping you?!
Try this amazingly tasty Asparagus, Broad Bean and Mint Frittata
Asparagus, Broad Bean and Mint Frittata
225g red onions, finely sliced
1 tbsp coconut oil
6 free range eggs (large)
6 spears of asparagus, cut into small sections and lightly steamed
100g broad beans, lightly steamed
1⁄2 pack of mint, finely chopped
Freshly ground pepper
A knob of butter
1. In a deep frying pan, sweat the onions in the oil over a medium heat for 10—12 minutes, until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
2. Break the eggs into a bowl and beat thoroughly.
3. Remove the onions with a slotted spoon and stir into to the eggs. Then add the asparagus, beans, mint and seasoning to the mixture.
4. Heat the butter in a shallow 25cm pan. Pour in the egg mixture and cook over a medium heat until the frittata has set on the bottom, but the surface is still runny (3—4 minutes).
5. Pop the pan under a pre-heated grill for 30-60 seconds to set the surface. (If your pan does not have a heatproof handle, turn the frittata in the pan to cook the other side).
6. Cut into wedges and serve with a watercress salad.