Sweet Potato & Lentil Curry
As the temperature dips, there’s nothing that feels more like a warming hug than a curry. One of my favourites is this gorgeous vegan curry. It’s also cheap to make and packed full of immune boosting antioxidants. Sweet potatoes are in season right now so this is a great time to cook with them.
2 tsp olive oil
Red onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Ginger a thumb-sized piece, finely grated
6 curry leaves (optional)
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
75g red lentils
400ml tin coconut milk
400ml vegetable stock
Fresh coriander, a handful, torn
1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat and cook three-quarters of the onion for 10 mins until softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger and curry leaves (if using) and cook for 2 mins.
- Add in the spices and cook for 1 min.
- Stir in the sweet potato and lentils, then add the coconut milk and stock. Stir well, bring to the boil, then simmer for 15-20 mins until the potatoes and lentils are cooked through. Add a splash of water if it looks a little dry.
- Season to taste, then tip into bowls and garnish with the remaining chopped onion and the fresh coriander, add a lime wedge for squeezing over.